Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Meet Your Peers: Cody Bloomsburg

"Don't worry. I don't live on a compound or anything. The picture was taken after I finished an interview with some Idaho Army National Guardsmen. As it turns out, the government will let you hold a machine gun as long as you promise you're a good American. I grew up watching too much G.I. Joe, so I couldn't turn down a chance to put on my war face.

"I'm Cody Bloomsburg and I currently write for the Idaho State Journal in Pocatello.

"This is my first gig as a reporter. The short version of my story is I quit a job managing an insulation company and moved across the state because the managing editor of this paper said there was a chance I could do a little writing for them.

"After I moved to Pocatello, I didn't have anything better to do so I just kept showing up in the newsroom every day and asking to do stories. I don't have any formal training in journalism, but now that I've been here for 6 months I at least have a vague idea about how this business works.

"I'm from Lewiston, Idaho. Other than brandishing automatic weapons and wearing rock & roll t-shirts, I try to spend my time fishing, hunting, brewing beer or painting with watercolors.

"All of that is true except for the part about watercolors — I've never enjoyed painting.

"I look forward to meeting you all soon."

No comments: