Monday, June 29, 2009

Meet Your Peers: Carmen Daye Irish


"There is so much to be inspired by. And for this reason, photojournalism is the heartbeat of photography for me. Photography may be selective, but in a mysterious way it manages to incorporate what is outside the frame, before and after. There is no beginning and no end. In a world that I endlessly seek to understand and describe, it is in this instant of a photograph where I most often find the deepest meaning of life.

"I have spent hours upon hours in attics and museums, lost in time, while elbow deep in boxes of old photographs and archives. I have always been amazed by the powerful impact photography makes on my perception of humanity through the lenses of the photographer, the photographed, and myself, the viewer. This dynamic relationship has created such an excitement for storytelling, and I believe it to be both an honor and privilege to share the stories of people who otherwise might not be heard. I strongly believe in its ability to increase social awareness, and for this reason I am pursuing higher education within the field of journalism.

"For the last three years I have lived in Paradise Valley outside of Livingston, Mont., where I have worked as community and arts editor for the Livingston Enterprise, a fly-fishing guide, associate photographer for Montana Wedding Photographer, and have started a photography business that concentrates on wedding, product and editorial photography. I am a 26-year-old Montana native who loves the mountains and rivers, traveling, drinking wine, eating sushi, and of course, photographing it all!"

1 comment:

Brandy Kiger said...

Carmen, anytime you want to go get sushi after class, just let me know!

-Brandy