Monday, August 11, 2008

Meet Your Peers: Laura Lundquist

“My primary passion in life has always been nature and wild places. Growing up in Montana, I spent a lot of time in the unpopulated spaces near Bozeman. As a Campfire Girl, I not only learned camping skills but an appreciation for the forest and its inhabitants. When my professional life saw me living in large cities (Chicago, San Francisco) and working in technical jobs (scientist, airline pilot), I felt something was missing. The opportunity to get away to the wilderness brought me back home to Montana where doing what I can to preserve wild places has become a personal mission.

“My other passion is music. I played flute and saxophone during my secondary education and later joined community bands. I always enjoyed Irish music but, until seven years ago, it had not occurred to me that I could play it. Irish music is characterized by a particular style that I needed to learn. Even with my classical training and experience, I have felt like a beginner as I work to develop the style. But it has become an obsession and I play whistle and flute in Irish sessions every chance I get. I have also been inspired to learn fiddle.”

No comments: