Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Meet Your Peers: Kip Sikora

“I was born and partly raised in Texas, and while I proudly claim my home state for the likes of Townes, Willie and BBQ, I denounce it for anything having to do with the fortunate son in the Oval Office. I moved to Missoula last summer after spending two and a half years in Saraguro, Ecuador, with the Peace Corps, and before that, I lived in New Mexico, where I settled down for a spell after six months in Central America following graduation from college. I did my undergraduate work in Sewanee, Tenn., where I studied religion and anthropology, but it was Guatemala in particular that really turned me on to photography, as it seemed there were manifestations of these fields in even the most ordinary moments.

“Photojournalists/journalists/travel writers I admire include Steve McCurry, Seanie Blue, James Natchwey and Eric Hansen. Thanks to Netflix, I have stuck my foot into the documentary pool recently, and while there is a lot of good stuff on there, two of my favorites have been ‘Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Impassioned Eye’ and ‘A Place Called Chiapas.’ The fusion of fine art, travel photography and photojournalism, especially as it relates to immigration and Latino issues, interests me quite a bit. I look forward to meeting y’all and learning a lot more about photographic technique and the profession of photojournalism.”

No comments: