Thursday, June 11, 2009

Meet Your Peers: Brandy Kiger


"Hello everyone! My name is Brandy Kiger. I was born and raised in North Carolina, and have been trying to get out of this state (as beautiful and wonderful as it is) for as long as I can remember, so I'm super excited to be moving to Montana this fall. I fell in love with Montana the moment I stepped off the plane in October 2008, and saw it in all its blustery early winter glory. My only fears about moving there are frostbite and grizzly bears. Other than that, I think it's golden.

I'm 24 years old and I love to laugh. I'm a very happy person, and when I'm excited about something most everyone else knows it, too. I think joy is one of the greatest gifts of this life, and I've been given an extra measure. I find it comes in handy, especially when the rest of the world seems to be falling apart. For fun, I dance (albeit badly), play guitar, write, hike, and am an all around river rat. I love being outdoors, especially if I can be on or near the water. Sun + Water + Hammock/Raft = an excellent life. I finished my undergrad degree at Western Carolina University in 2006,with a B.A. in English (Professional Writing) and a minor in Art. That fall I started teaching high school as a lateral entry teacher, and began working on my M.A. in English at WCU in 2007. I just complete that degree in May, and will have my teaching license by August. This is my last degree, I swear. (Except for maybe that doctorate ... but who's counting?)

"Over the past few years, I've been (in no particular order, and sometimes at the same time), a waitress, a teacher, a full-time student, a trip leader on the Nantahala River, a wedding coordinator/planner/caterer/photographer, an editor, and a writer. I've also gotten the opportunity to live in Spain and travel through France and most of the East Coast. I love traveling and opening myself up to new experiences and immersing myself in culture. I think we can only truly love people by getting to know them and accepting who they are, and it's my mission in life to try to love everyone I meet -- and yes, sometimes I fail miserably, but at least I try!

"Right now, I hope to work for an outdoors magazine and also photograph weddings once I graduate, but I learned a long time ago that when you make plans, God laughs, so I'm up for pretty much anything at this point. I think it's going to be a pretty awesome ride. I'm super excited to meet you guys, and I totally intend on having you over for dinner sometime! I love to cook, so if you're ever hungry, just come to my house!"

No comments: