Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Meet Your Peers: Taryn Chuter

















Hello. I'm Taryn Chuter and I am a 22 year-old native of Corvallis Montana.

Unlike many others, I cannot say that I have always had a desire to be a writer, nor have I ever particularly enjoyed sitting down to "just write". On top of that, I'm a bad speller. For me, journalism is an art, and that is something I have been attracted to for most of my life. Everything from the poetic flow of a beautiful lead, to the crisp design of a page, to the dramatic pop of color in a well organized photo attracts me, and I cannot wait to peruse it further.

Being possibly the youngest member of my program, I am thrilled to be surrounded by peers that I can learn from (and try to keep up with).

I recently graduated from Gonzaga University with a BA in Journalism and am excited to be back in my home state. I began my college career in 2006 at the University of Montana, running track and studying biology. I started dipping into journalism classes when I decided to follow a childhood dream of attending a Jesuit school. While I did miss my friends and teammates at UM, I am grateful for the inspiration and support I received as a member of the GU community. I applied for this program because I wanted to fuse my old passion for biology and nature with my new found love of journalism, particularly editing and photography. I am also interested in learning some more about broadcast, as soon as my public speaking skills improve (fingers crossed).

As is typical of my generation, here are a few things about me:
- I enjoy snowboarding, rock climbing, ballet, Griz football, 30 Rock, country music, pageants, watercolor, the Bitterroot River, roasted red pepper, and becoming the most well-rounded person I possibly can.
- I do not enjoy cilantro. But that's about it.
- About once a month I debate dropping out and going to culinary school. Then I order a pizza.
- I'm working on developing an inside voice.
- This summer, I may have discovered a new species of insect. More on that later.
- I firmly believe that if you work hard enough, you can achieve absolutely anything. On that same note, I'm never without at least 2 backup plans.

Thank you for reading. I can't wait to meet you all this fall.

PS: I have embedded several AP Style mistakes. See if you can find them all.

No comments: